Aging in place allows seniors to experience the very best of their golden years while staying in a community that is comfortable, familiar and safe. It also offers greater ease and peace of mind to their family and friends.
In this article, accessibility and bathroom remodel expert DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Southeast Florida shares the amazing advantages of aging in place.
- Greater Independence. Remaining at home grants older adults a sense of independence and freedom that they might not have in other settings such as assisted living. When aging in place, seniors get to have control over their personal lives, which can lead to higher levels of happiness and fulfillment.
- Healthier and Safer Environment. Studies have shown that diseases spread fairly easily in communal environments like nursing homes, putting seniors at risk. Sometimes, transitioning into institutional care also means uprooting elderly family members from their support system and their normal day-to-day activities. This can lead to feelings of isolation and loneliness that can definitely affect their quality of life.
- Convenience and Cost Savings. Other great advantages of seniors aging in place involve convenience and cost savings. To put it simply, it is more affordable to take the necessary steps — such as adding pull-out shelves and kitchen cabinets, grab bars, railings, non-slip floors and task lighting — to help older adults live their lives comfortably and safely at home. Home care services typically do not cost thousands of dollars per month as assisted living facilities do.
- Close to Family and Friends. In most instances, aging in place will allow seniors to continue seeing their family and friends as frequently as they are used to. Staying connected to the community they have known for a long time is incredibly essential for people in their later years. Similarly, you cannot overemphasize how beneficial and healthy it is for the elderly to spend time with their children and grandchildren. In fact, it can minimize the risk of developing certain diseases and boost feelings of satisfaction and happiness.
- Greater Comfort. According to a report by the American Society on Aging, 56% of those 65-74 years old say that the emotional value of their homes is far more important to them than its fiscal value. When aging in place, older adults can freely live the lifestyle they want in an environment full of beautiful and sentimental memories.
You can count on DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Southeast Florida for professional and personalized aging-in-place home remodeling. Give us a call at (561) 935-3915 or fill out our online form to learn more about our top-rated products and services.