It’s common knowledge that home additions such as additional dwelling units or ADUs don’t have much space in them and as such, smart design is essential in order to make such a small living space comfortable. Otherwise, you might find yourself with a cramped ADU. Thankfully, there are a few ways you can maximize an ADU’s space.
In this post, home and bathroom remodel experts from DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Southeast Florida list the five ways you can maximize your ADU’s space.
1. Built-in Shower Storage – Most homeowners want to save space in their ADU’s bathroom by swapping out the tub for a shower. However, what some don’t realize is that a shower can still take up a significant amount of space, with little to no room for storage. Luckily, if you utilize your shower walls and install built-in shelves, you’ll easily have a place for your bathing products.
2. Pocket Doors – Some homeowners tend to make the mistake of installing the standard, swinging doors in their ADU’s. Unfortunately, what some fail to realize is that this can actually take up space as you’ll need enough room to properly open the door. With that in mind, if you’re looking to save space for your furniture, consider forgoing the swinging doors and install pocket doors that slide into a wall instead.
3. Built-in Wall Storage – On the other hand, when you’re designing your ADU, be sure to have your home remodeling expert build its storage space right into the walls. That way, you won’t have to bring in too much furniture for storage when you start moving into your home addition.
4. Embed the TV – Entertainment centers such as your TV and speakers can easily take up a significant amount of space in your ADU since you’ll have to bring in a cabinet to hold them. If you want to eliminate the need for a bulky cabinet and save space, professionals recommend that you consider having them installed right in your walls instead.
5. Under the Stair Storage – Finally, if you’re building a two-story ADU, maximize the space available to you by building some custom cabinetry beneath the stairs. If that’s not up to your speed, however, you can always leave the space beneath your staircase open and create a storage nook instead.
Need someone who can help you remodel your home? Look no further than DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Southeast Florida. When it comes to installing kitchen cabinets and remodeling services, we are the leading experts to approach that won’t let you down! Give us a call at (561) 459-1004 or fill out our contact form to request a consultation. We serve homeowners in Jupiter, Port St. Lucie, West Palm Beach, and other nearby areas in FL.